Psalm 37:7








"Be still and rest in the LORD;


Wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him."


-Psalm 37:7


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Why Would A Good God Allow Suffering?"

"Missy could fall down and hurt herself, even if I'm walking right there beside her. That doesn't mean that I allowed it to happen. She knows, as far as unconditional love, I'll pick her up and I'll carry her. I'll try to heal her. I'll cry when she cries. And I'll rejoice when she is well. In all the moments of my life, God has been right there beside me. The truth of God's love is not that he allows bad things to happen. It's His promise that he'll be there with us when they do."

-Quoting the movie "Love Comes Softly"
Movie trailer for "Love Comes Softly"



"All things work together for good to those who love God."
-Romans 8:28




FOR FURTHER STUDY

Wondering about the reasons for your trials?
Read the online booklet "Why Would A Good God Allow Suffering?":
Read the PDF link HERE

My prayer this morning is for someone who's looking to find some peace and encouragement and possibly some better understanding of how to lean on God during the storms of life. If you think or feel He's asleep, out of reach, or just not even there, then quietly ask Him to comfort you and reveal himself to you. All you need is the faith of a mustard seed. Begin to grow your faith each day.

All God ever wants from you and I is total dependance on Him. Your struggles are different than mine and at times we may relate, but no matter the struggle, storm or circumstance, He promises to see us through it. He never leaves us. When we draw close, He draws closer.

Lovingly,

2 comments:

Heather said...

It's an interesting parallel. You always hear people say that God "allows" bad things to happen. I always thought that was silly. As parents we don't want our kids to suffer, but occasionally they do get hurt. It's curious to me, does God simply watch as we fall? We do have free will and we make decisions. I'm not sure what the answer is here. I would like to think that it's just our fallen human ways that hurt us and not that an all powerful God isn't there in time to catch us.

Mama Bear said...

I always thought that was silly too. But, God will allow us to go through circumstances to strengthen us in Him and in Prov 3:5-6, He says to "Trust in Him and not lean on our own understanding..." He wants total dependance on Him. When we get too prideful or self serving, He will step in any way He wants to. He has that power. That's why He praises and blesses anyone who "Fears the Lord".

You asked, "Does God watch us fall?" He may, but He's there to be there for our fall. Will we draw closer to Him, or pick ourselves up and keep going? Every circumstance is a test of, "Will we turn to Him?"

I love how faithful He is and the knowing of His presence in times of need. I know I need Him every minute of my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...